Sunday, February 19, 2017


We have light yellow pollen  going into the Lucium. Go girls, go!

Friday, February 17, 2017


I put four pounds of sugar on the Lucium last week, at $2.09 a bag. The weather has been so warm, I figured it was safe. Then yesterday we had a cold snap where it did not get above freezing. I'll have to take a look tomorrow to make sure that the feeder is still intact. I wonder what the freezing point of 1:1 sugar-water syrup is?

Sunday, January 8, 2017


We had a nice warm day today, so I did a quick inspection and discovered that the Josephium and Salomium had both absconded.

I dosed the Lucium with oxalic acid dribble.

Sunday, November 6, 2016


The Ambrosium has absconded. I'm not sure when that happened.  It's been a miserable couple of weeks around here.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

After two weeks

I did hive inspections yesterday. Over all, another poor harvest is in the making.

Ambrosium: A bit of honey, none capped, distributed over both supers.

Josephium: Maybe 10 pounds, none capped, in the lower super. Maybe less. None at all on the upper super. I moved that one onto the Lucium.

Lucium: A full super, some of it capped. They are doing the best, so I rewarded them with a second super.

Salomium: They drained their syrup dry, so I put on another four pounds at $2.09 a bag.

The knotweed is still in bloom at the bottoms of the ravines, although the stuff on the ridges is basically done. The goldenrod is getting earnest, including in our yard.

Monday, September 5, 2016


In the last two months, I've put 8 more pounds of sugar on the Salomium.

There has been a dearth with almost no pollen going into the hives.

Right now we have begun our knotweed bloom, and I expect our goldenrod bloom in about two weeks. I expect the goldenrod honey flow to end around October first.

Our club speaker last Thursday said we should feed six weeks before the honey flow starts, March 1 through April 15, and July through August 15.

He recommended formic acid at the beginning of August, if I recall correctly.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Christmas Harvest

I finally got around to jarring the Christmas harvest we pulled off of the collapsed St Benedict colony on 25 December. I filled 14 half-pound queen line jars, or 7 pounds total. Tasted good! Too bad they are all dead.

The old hive formerly occupied by the benedictianae is now occupied by the St Lucy colony we captured in the spring. Ora pro nobis, Sancta Lucia! Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi!