Sunday, July 19, 2020

Update and Feed

We've been in quite the drought. Although it has not been totally dry, we had two big downpours last week, it has been hot, humid, and largely rainless since I last posted.

I've been looking for signs of a late acacia bloom this year and have seen none. Quite the opposite.

So I decided it's time for more feed. Three more gallons.

I put a fresh gallon on the Benedictium (white and northmost (leftmost)). No problem.

I put a new, green deep on the Salomium, on top of the pink super which has been turned into another brood chamber by its ridiculously fertile queen. This deep is merely an attic into which I placed a pail of feed.

As I attempted to place a pair of spacers (bee-space spacers) there, I was greeted with amazingly swift  defensive behaviors. (I'm glad I decided to go with long pants. No smoker though :(, Oh well.) I succeeded eventually.

Similar story with the Josephium, though they were less extreme.

All three hives look amazingly healthy and fertile. All three hives are bearding (very thick). I tried to remove the bee guard from the Josephium, but it seems to be glued in. I'll try later when the beard is not so thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment