Saturday, July 29, 2017

Tuesday, July 25, 2017


Just a quick note to indicate that I put 4 lbs. of sugar into the Salomium a couple of weeks ago.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Spring harvest

We did indeed have a harvest yesterday. I pulled off the super and brought it inside the house. We had quite a bit of capped honey, half a frame of uncapped nectar, and a surprising amount of bee bread. I'll have to look into purchasing some pollen substitute.

Monday, July 3, 2017

More bad news

The Lucium died out sometime in March. We got two new hives: Benedictium II and Salomium II. The new Benedictium's queen died within a month, so I combined them into one hive.

We had a crazy rogue bee which harassed the kids until it stung me (OUCH) in the face. I made quite a splash at work the next day.

Yesterday I (finally) inspected the Salomium. I found a heavy super and under it some brood, and lots of angry bees unused to seeing their keeper. So I put in the bee escape, and perhaps we will have a harvest on the 4th of July.