Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Put on bee escape

I put the bee escape under the full upper super of the Benedictium today, in anticipation of the harvest we plan to do on Saturday. I turned the inner cover upside down, since I wasn't sure whether the bee escape would work on yellow jackets, and I did not want the upper super to be open to yellow jackets while it was closed to bees. However, the escape was not designed to have enough clearance to go over an upside down crown cover, so I put a right side up crown cover on top of my upside down one, and I was planning to plug up its entrance.

Since it was so late, and since it takes forever for me to get a smoker going, I forwent the smoker and headed out while I still had daylight. Big mistake. The bees were really angry, and I got stung on my left knee when I crouched down to line up my supers. So I left everything as it was and came inside. Two bees followed me in! What's up with these girls? Man are they vengeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment